7.1) MS - Computer Engineering Course InformationThe website at http://info.sjsu.edu/web-dbgen/catalog/departments/CMPE-courses.html contains the complete list of CMPE courses, including course numbers and names, as well as their descriptions and prerequisite requirements.
7.2) Course-taking SequenceAll of the following are required to earn the master’s degree in Computer Engineering:
- condition courses – CMPE 180D, CMPE 180A, CMPE 180C (should be completed within the first two semesters). Students entering in a classified status (i.e., graduates of the SJSU Computer Engineering bachelor’s program) are not expected to take these courses or the waiver exams.
- program core courses – CMPE 200, CMPE 220, CMPE 240 (prerequisites are strictly enforced)
- specialization courses (refer to Section 6.2b: Specialization Courses)
- graduate writing requirement (GWAR; CMPE 294)
- technical electives (refer to Section 6.2c: Technical Elective Courses)
- master’s project (CMPE 295A, CMPE 295B), thesis (CMPE 299A, CMPE 299B), or comprehensive exam (CMPE 298) plus additional technical electives.
7.3) Prerequisites and ConstraintsUnder certain circumstances (course scheduling, classroom capacity, duration of study, etc.) and with course instructors’ consent, the course sequence shown above might be deviated from. However, there are hard prerequisite constraints that all students must comply with, as listed below:
- Prerequisites for Program Core Courses
|Program Core Courses||Prerequisites|
|CMPE 200||CMPE 180D|
|CMPE 240||CMPE 180D|
|CMPE 220||CMPE 180A and CMPE 180C|
- Requirements for CMPE 295A, 299A, and 298 (comprehensive exam)
|1||Be a classified MS-CMPE student, i.e., completed all admission conditions, a minimum of 9 letter-graded units, and GWAR and be in good standing|
|2||Both cumulative SJSU GPA and candidacy form GPA are 3.0 or higher|
|3||Completed at least two program core courses|
|4||Completed at least two specialization courses|
|Submit candidacy form and obtain approval during early stage of the semester when these courses are taken|
|7||All program core courses and GWAR must be completed before or together with CMPE 295A, CMPE 299A, or CMPE 298. Failure to fulfill the GWAR will lead to a failing grade for CMPE 295A/299A/298.|
One may take the GWAR and third core course concurrently with CMPE 295A, 299A, or 298. There must be no core courses and only one specialization course left to take in the semester(s) following CMPE 295A, 299A, or 298. Plan your full degree program schedule carefully, taking into account courses not offered every semester, to meet these requirements. Summer courses are few and fill rapidly so relying on getting into one often leads to delays in graduating.
- Requirements for CMPE 295B and CMPE 299B
|1||Both cumulative SJSU GPA and candidacy form GPA are 3.0 or higher|
|2||Completed CMPE 295A or CMPE 299A|
|3||Completed all three program core courses|
|4||Passed all specialization courses or taking third one concurrently|