What are the application deadlines?

Please visit http://www.sjsu.edu/gape/.

What is the application procedure?

Online application information may be obtained from the following link: http://www.sjsu.edu/gape/

Where do I submit my application?

Applications are submitted using the graduate admissions selection at CSUmentor.org. The following are some hints for filling in the application pages. (1) Page 1: Applicants should select Engineering-Computer Engineering (MS) as the Major/Program Objective. (2) Test Scores: GRE and TOEFL test scores should be routed to San Jose State University, code=4687. No department code is required.

Does CMPE Department offer graduate assistantships to incoming or current students?

Graduate assistantships are competitive, and are awarded based on the student's qualifications and fit to particular tasks. We do not award assistantships at the time of admission.

I was admitted this semester, is it possible for me to start my study next semester?

A new graduate student has to take at least one course during his/her first semester at SJSU. Otherwise, the student forfeits the admission for the current semester and has to re-apply to SJSU. By notifying SJSU Graduate Studies and Research office, you might not have to resubmit all required documents.

Upon being admitted to the program, am I required to make an appointment with the Program Coordinator/Advisor immediately?

It is not required. However, attending the MSCMPE new student orientation session is required. The MS CMPE Advisor will email you information regarding the new student orientation session.

Can one of my admission conditions be waived if I have taken a course of the same subject in another institution before?

No, admission conditions cannot be waived. You must pass the subject test or its corresponding condition course in order to satisfy each admission condition.

I have to satisfy one or more admission condition courses. How do they affect my GPA?

All letter-grade courses count towards your GPA, even if they do not count towards the minimal requirements for the MS degree (i.e., courses listed on Candidacy Form). However, CMPE180s are passing (CR) or fail (NC) courses, and therefore the grades of CMPE180s do not count towards your overall GPA.

After completing all my admission conditions, do I have to change my status from “Conditional” to “Classified” immediately?

No. your status will be changed when you file a Departmental Request for Candidacy and Graduate Degree Program Form when you take CMPE295A or CMPE299A or CMPE298 (for comprehensive exam). At that time you have to submit your transcripts through the course Canvas site of CMPE295A or CMPE299A or CMPE298 (for comprehensive exam) that you are enrolled.

How can I register for classes?

Go to http://my.sjsu.edu/students/ to register, but pay attention to fee payment deadlines. Since graduate students cannot enroll in some undergraduate courses directly, you might have to request a permission number from the department office or the course instructor.

Who do I contact with registration problems?

If you cannot access the system, please contact cmshelp[at]sjsu[dot]edu.  If you have problems seeing the correct screen or problems with incorrect IDs, please contact erecords[at]sjsu[dot]edu.

Do I need advising before enrolling in a class?

For new students or a student whose overall GPA is 3.0 or better, a pre-registration advising is not necessary; the student can just follow the guideline described in Section 7. A student with an overall GPA below 3.0 must seek advice from the MS CMPE graduate advisor before enrolling in any class.

I am the first one on the wait list for a full class. Will this provide me with priority to be added to the class by the instructor?

After the semester begins, a class might have some available seats to add more students. The instructor will consider several factors to decide the priority of adding students. The instructor will decide whether “wait list sequence” is one of the factors.

I tried to enroll a class but the enrollment system required Department Consent.  How can I receive the Department Consent?

You can contact the Department Office. However, the Department office will most likely ask you to check MySJSU frequently for the class status updates or contact the instructor directly to issue you a permission number.

Since the add period is over, how can I get the permission number (a.k.a. add code) to a class?

Go to the first class meeting and ask your instructor for the permission number.

The time overlap of two courses prevents me to enroll into either one. What shall I do?

You can only enroll into one of them. The Graduate Advisor is not assigned to schedule the classes of the department. The department will post additional sections, if any, on the schedule section of mySJSU. If the overlap time is less than 15 minutes, you might be able to enroll into both classes by filing a course overlap form and submit to the department office.

How late can I add or drop a class without penalty?

Courses may be added or dropped without penalty during the first fourteen days of classes. See the Calendar section of www.sjsu.edu/registrar for exact dates and deadlines. Courses dropped during this initial period will not appear on the student's transcript.

If I drop a class now, can I enroll in it next semester?

Yes, if you meet the course prerequisites and the class is not full.

During this semester, I enrolled into both CMPE180-90 and CMPE200/240. Now I failed the Digital Design and Microprocessor test, so I can take CMPE180-90, but not CMPE200/240. Will I be penalized if I drop CMPE200/240 after the semester begins?

Courses may be added or dropped without penalty during a specific time period. For Refund and Pro-Rata Charges, please refer to http://www.sjsu.edu/bursar/payment_refunds/. A student with admission conditions can enroll into graduate classes and also CMPE180-90, 92, 94 to start with.  However, you should drop a condition course immediately after you receive the passing result of the pertinent test.

When should I establish or update my Program of Study (POS)?

It is not required to file a POS. A POS must be prepared for special events such as CPT, on-probation, etc., or seeking in-person advising from the graduate advisor.

Can I transfer my undergraduate units received at SJSU?

You can transfer a graduate course taken when you were a SJSU undergraduate student. This course must not be listed in your undergraduate major form.

Can I transfer graduate credits from extension or Open University courses of other universities?


Will a transfer course be counted as a core, specialization, or elective course?

It depends on which of the CMPE or SJSU courses it is equivalent to.

When can I apply to transfer courses?

After a semester begins, you can submit a Transfer non-SJSU or Open University Course Request Form for each course you’d like to transfer. You must submit the request form with all supporting documents to the department office. The MS CMPE graduate advisor will consult with the professors possessing the subject knowledge to decide whether to approve the request or not.

Can I take off-campus courses as part of my degree course?

Off-campus courses cannot be used for the on-campus MS in CMPE degree program.

I am working in Silicon Valley, is it feasible for me to attend classes?

Almost all single-section CMPE graduate courses are offered after 6:00 p.m.

What are the differences between a master project and master thesis?

A thesis has more rigid requirements of contents and reporting style. A project-track student must enroll in CMPE295A and CMPE295B in two consecutive semesters; a thesis-track student must enroll in CMPE299A and CMPE299B in two consecutive semesters. Summer enrollments are optional.

How can I find a project advisor and decide my project/thesis topic?

Your project/thesis topic must be closely related to your specialization. Your advisor must be an SJSU instructor with expertise in the area of your specialization.

Will the classes I take to satisfy my admission conditions be counted as part of the required 9 units for students on F-1 visa?


Will CMPE 298I for CPT be counted as part of the required 9 units for students on F-1 visa?



Are there any requirements for taking CMPE294?

The only requirement for taking CMPE294 is to be a registered CMPE graduate student.

I am taking CMPE294 and CMPE295A concurrently, what is the consequence if I fail CMPE294?

The completion of GWAR (e.g., receiving a passing grade of CMPE294 or ENGR200W) is required to obtain a passing grade of CMPE295A or CMPE299A.  At the end of the semester, a student who has not completed GWAR will receive a failing CMPE295A or CMPE299A grade and must enroll in CMPE295A or CMPE299A again and restart the project or thesis.

Due to an unforeseen situation I cannot complete CMPE295B or CMPE299B this semester, what should I do?

A student who is unable to complete CMPE295B or CMPE299B due to unforeseen circumstances will be given a grade of “I” (Incomplete) and will need to register CMPE290R for a one-semester extension.

What are the timing, scope, and grading of the comprehensive exam?

The exam will be given twice a year, once in fall semester and once in spring semester. The exam will be held at least one week before the last day of instruction. The time and place will be announced one week after the last day to add courses.  The exam is 2 hours long; no books or other assistive devices are allowed.  The exam’s scope covers fundamentals of MS CMPE program core courses and specialization core courses in the exam taker’s declared area.  The exam will be graded on a pass (CR) or fail (NC) basis, and can be taken multiple times.