1. Application Requirements
- Academic Background
- Standard Test Scores
2. Application Procedure and Material Submission
All applications are online via SJSU’s Graduate Admission and Program Evaluation (GAPE) Office. Please visit the GAPE website at http://www.sjsu.edu/gape/ for general information and application instructions. When completing the online application pages, the applicant should (1) select Computer Engineering (MS) as the Major/Program Objective; (2) route his/her TOEFL and GRE scores to San Jose State University, code=4687 (no department code is required). Official transcripts and other application materials (recommendation letters are optional) should be mailed to SJSU’s GAPE office, not to the Computer Engineering Department. Note: Since the CMPE Department conducts rolling admissions, late applications may not be reviewed when the program reaches its capacity.
3. Admission Conditions
Except those who obtained their BS CMPE degrees at SJSU, all admitted MS CMPE applicants are conditionally accepted. To become a classified MS CMPE student, a conditionally admitted student must either pass three tests, or take and pass their corresponding condition courses. Each test can be taken only once. Condition courses are graded on a pass (CR) or fail (NC) basis. A condition course can be taken repeatedly until a passing grade is received. The names of the three tests and their corresponding condition courses are listed below. For test schedules, scope and preparation, please visit the website at https://cmpe.sjsu.edu/content/test-new-ms-students.
(can be substituted by passing CMPE124 + CMPE127 with B or better grades)
(can be substituted by passing CMPE50 + CMPE126 with B or better grades)
(can be substituted by passing CMPE142 with B or better grades)
4. Transfer StudentsTo transfer to the MS CMPE program, students currently enrolled in a different graduate program at SJSU must submit a Change of Major Request Form to the GAPE office (by contacting GAPE, original application materials may not need to be resubmitted); graduate students currently at other US universities must apply via the GAPE office, as described in Section 5.2: Application Procedure and Material Submission. Please note:
- All transfer students will be evaluated based on the same requirements for new applicants. In addition, a 3.0 or higher GPA in their current graduate programs is required.
- For applicants newly admitted by a different graduate program at SJSU, the change of major request can be submitted during the first semester in their home program. Otherwise, they have to forfeit their current admission and re-apply to SJSU for the MS CMPE program.
5. Transfer CreditAfter being accepted by the MS CMPE program, a student may submit a Transfer Course Credit Request Form to transfer courses taken when the student was not enrolled in the MS CMPE program at SJSU. The request will be evaluated by the MS CMPE program. Up to two courses (6 units) can be transferred to the MS CMPE program if the following conditions are met:
- The courses must be at graduate level.
- The courses must be comparable (in level and contents) to MS CMPE graduate courses.
- The courses must have been taken within the last 7 years.
- The courses must not be used to meet the requirements of another degree the applicant has obtained.
- The courses must be taken from U.S. accredited universities (including SJSU Open University) or from non-MSCMPE programs at SJSU, together with their prerequisite courses specified in the course descriptions.